Wednesday, July 5, 2017

The Hundredth Queen book review

First of all, this book is fabulous. I loved it. It made me want to throw aside all other responsibilities and hide in a closet somewhere, devouring it, like chocolate!


The author, Emily R. King is fabulous as well. I've been friends with her on Facebook for a while (and in person for a short time) and something she wrote a while back has really stuck with me and I'd like to address it here.

She posted , "When people repeatedly tell me they didn't think they'd like my book, but they actually really loved it...why does that feel like a backhanded compliment? Why say that at all? Am I supposed to be grateful I changed their mind? This whole being an author thing has good moments, but honestly, a lot of it is just aggravating."

I can completely get what she means about taking it as a backhanded compliment and also how frustrating such words can be. But I would venture that perhaps one of the reasons why those people didn't think they'd like it is because . . . well . . . there just aren't that many fabulous books out there. So when they read it and discovered that it is actually very well written, has a wonderful fast pace and is full of delightful romance . . . they were genuinely surprised. And I'm guessing that surprise usually had nothing to do with Emily R. King as a person and more just books in general. It's sad but the market is so over-saturated with books, and there are just not that many amazing books out there. I mean, sure there are good books along with the not so great and even crappy ones but there aren't that many amazing books like The Hundredth Queen. 

So there you have it. Now that I have sufficiently hyped the book up--go and read it--with the usual expectation you hold for "most books" out there, so that you can be pleasantly surprised and delighted with this gem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment